In 1945, Art Depue of Maquoketa, Iowa, President of Central Steel Tube Co. in the Clinton (Commanche), Iowa area became engaged in the manufacture of Saw More metal cutting machines. To do so he built a new factory complex for his Maquoketa Company where the Jacob Becker Brick Company had been located in east Maquoketa (see above left - taken in the 1940s). Depue decided to consolidate all of his operations at the Clinton (Commanche). Meanwhile in Clinton, Michigan machinist and gas station entrepreneur, Don Thomas turned from the manufacture of tank turret gears for the war effort to the promising manufacture of small gasoline engines. By the end of 1946, his payroll had exploded to over 1000 employees and by 1949 he was literally buried in orders. Clinton Machine Company needed a new and larger home. In an interesting juxtaposition in 1950, Don Thomas moved his company from Clinton, Michigan to Maquoketa and Art Depue moved his Maquoketa Company plant to the Clinton Central Steel Tube plant area (Commanche, Iowa) retaining its original name and the Clinton Machine Company became Clinton Machine Company and later Clinton Engines Corporation with plants in Maquoketa and Clinton, Michigan.
Beginning at above left are pictures of the old Becker Brick Company of the 1940s, The Maquoketa Company property after Clinton Machine Company took possession of the 12 acre tract in 1950, Clinton Engines headquarters in 1955, the headquarters building in 1970, demolition of the factory complex in 2002, and the present headquarters building under renovation in 2004.